Friday, June 3, 2011

The Love Dare - Day 34

Had a pleasant trip to Williamsburg tonight, to help celebrate our niece's high school graduation, and it made for a nice time to share life together... more so on the way down than on the way back.  It got pretty quiet on the way home.  I was the only one awake (at least in the front seat), which gave me time to think as I listened to my favorite CD - Rod Stewart's 'Great American Songbook' (which may represent the best evidence yet that I really am getting old, given that I'm not only listening to '40's and early '50's music, but I'm liking it!)  But anyway, I got to wishing I could express myself as well as some of these songs do, and by that I mean express what I'm feeling.  I can analyze things and explain things, but I wish I could express my emotions better.  For instance, when I hear the following words, I think, "Yes, this is what I feel for Karen." 
 
     I can only give you love that lasts forever,
     And a promise to be near each time you call,
     And the only heart I own,
     For you and you alone.

     That's all.  That's all.

     I can only give you country walks in springtime,
     And a hand to hold when leaves begin to fall,
     And a love whose burning light,
     Will warm the winter's night.
     That's all.  That's all.

     There are those I am sure who have told you
     They would give you the world for a toy.
     All I have are these arms to enfold you
     And a love even time can't destroy.

     If you're wondering what I'm asking in return, dear,
     You'll be glad to know that my demands are small;
     Say it's me that you'll adore
     For now and evermore.
     That's all.  That's all.

          © WARNER-TAMERLANE PUBLISHING CORP; MIXED BAG MUSIC INC;

I feel it, but why can't I say it?  It wouldn't even have to be as poetic as the song.  I'd just like to be more emotionally articulate. Surely there is something about two lovers engaged in a tender conversation that God really likes.  How else can we explain God inspiring so many of the passages from Song of Solomon to be recorded for all eternity?  Have you read that book?  It's unabashed love, communicated through passionate, verbal pictures!  I want to be able to do that for my wife.  Is there a way to learn how to do that? 

It's not entirely unlike what Jesus does for all of us when He fixes His eyes on us, gazes deep into our souls, and says, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls" (Matthew 11:28-29).  In asking for help in expressing my deepest feelings, I'm just asking to be more like Jesus!










xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment